Make Comics Forever!!

Make Comics Forever is a forum for cartoonists dedicated to improving their productivity. This is not a forum for wimps! This is not a forum for flakes! We are here to share tips and techniques on how to produce more work and better work. Become a comic-making machine! Join the discussion now! To become a member, email a request to robyn @ un-pop.com

Friday, February 03, 2006

Interesting quote from E-I-C of Devil's Due

"I think part of the problem is that 80% of our mainstream comic collector audience is getting so old, they've read so many comics, that there's not room for anything new in their life. It's not that they love or hate the new stuff. They kind of just don't care. They have jobs, kids, bills... they want to come in on Wednesday and get their familiar fix. They're old enough to remember all of the failed attempts of publishers past. Kids? Hell, kids want something new simply because it's not what their dad's reading, but those kids aren't in most comic shops." - Josh Baylock

That quote is from a series of articles Newsarama is running on various companies "State of the Union". I've always seen Devil's Due as a very interesting company, mixing creator owned books with a number of licensed properties. They've really seen to manage themselves well, and this quote is spot on to my own opinion.

The thing that makes it tough is that if we takes these numbers it means the rest of are aiming for the same 20%. It's like a bunch of people being forced to take one slice of pie, while 2 others get the rest of the pie plus ice cream.

Now to bring it back in to making comics, it really emphasizes the fact that whatever we as independent creators make, really really needs to be top notch to raise up our status for that 20%. I'm working on the 3rd story for Part Time Stories this weekend and am forcing myself to redraw sketches and panels as many times as need be. It takes extra time sure, but the end product will really be worth it I think.

This is rambley. Wow.

3 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Aaron said...

"I'm working on the 3rd story for Part Time Stories this weekend and am forcing myself to redraw sketches and panels as many times as need be. It takes extra time sure, but the end product will really be worth it I think."

So true. That reminds me of a quote i think I read in some Adrian Tomine interview where he talked about not understanding the mentality of jus whipping out some bad stuff just for the quickness of it and not caring so much as to the quality. He said something like, "This is your work, shouldn't you be making it the best you can do?"

That always stuck with me, especially now with my current book. I've skimped on some panels and had that nagging me as I look them over. "This is a cop-out. I gotta redo it..."

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Tim said...

Once I finish drawing a panel I tend to lose interest. I'm not the patient type who can re-draw my art or fix my screenplays with twenty revisions. My brain races like crazy and I have to get the ideas out and move on to the next one. But that's always bothered me so I'm trying harder to revisit poor comics and improve them. You're right Aaron, it is a copout.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Mal Jones said...

I read somewhere that Bryan Hitch, when he was working on the Authority, would draw a hand, not like, but keep going because he knew it had to be out on a monthly basis.

I went by that, to an extent, for all my work so far, but now I have realized that these books do not have that monthly grind publishing schedule, so it's pretty much required that I take the time to do each panel right.

Time-wise, I miss the cop-outs though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home