Make Comics Forever!!

Make Comics Forever is a forum for cartoonists dedicated to improving their productivity. This is not a forum for wimps! This is not a forum for flakes! We are here to share tips and techniques on how to produce more work and better work. Become a comic-making machine! Join the discussion now! To become a member, email a request to robyn @ un-pop.com

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Take Care Of Yourself

Important and Sometimes Overlooked Productivity Tip: Keep yourself in good health!

Eat a varied and balanced diet. Move around. Do something that raises the heart rate for at least ten consecutive minutes a day; I felt a bit disgusted when I realized I wasn't even doing that. Get fresh air and sunlight! And SLEEP. It's easy to forget how much more alert the mind can be when it gets regular, proper rest. Find a sleep schedule that works for you, whether you like to rise early or late, and try to keep it consistent.

It's easy to get caught up in creating, but don't neglect yourself! Take your food and bathroom breaks, stretch, breath, and give your eyeballs some rest by moving them around and gazing off into the distance.

It's simple stuff, but fundamental. Everything is better and easier when you're energetic and alert - why subject yourself to the potential heartbreak of careless mistakes?

(This post is definitely made in the "AA" spirit of the blog - I'm trying to change my own poor habits!)

4 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger colin white said...

This is all so true. I really like drinking a lot of water, or tea while working. If you drink the right amount your body will force you to get up and move around (at least to the bathroom) every hour or two. Plus drinking lots of water is very good for you, no matter what you're doing.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Colin Tedford said...

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot about water! One of the few things I consistently do right is drink a lot of it.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Alec Longstreth said...

Yeah, I've been focusing on SITTING UP STRAIGHT too when I'm drawing. I'm only 26 and I already have a pretty screwed up back. Each time I clean off my nib or brush I check in with myself, "Am I sitting up straight?" Also, mini breaks every hour or so to stretch my back and get up and walk around.

I also really endorse the sleep suggestion. While losing sleep can help you meet an immediate deadline, I've found that getting on a good sleeping schedule will improve your productivity A BUNCH.

Great post!

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Camila Perkins said...

This was great to read

 

Post a Comment

<< Home