Make Comics Forever!!

Make Comics Forever is a forum for cartoonists dedicated to improving their productivity. This is not a forum for wimps! This is not a forum for flakes! We are here to share tips and techniques on how to produce more work and better work. Become a comic-making machine! Join the discussion now! To become a member, email a request to robyn @ un-pop.com

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Finished the graphic novel!

Oh man, it's taken me over 6 years and many many late nights but the bastard is finished.... Well, the first of three books is finished anyway. It's very satisfying to see the work in print as a whole.

I did a 100 copy POD run to shop it around to various publishers and reviewers and I'm very impressed with the quality of the print. Back when the book was in serial form I was getting the printing done at Quebecor, but for a small run like this POD made more sense. I contacted Dream Weaver Press first but found their response time to my emails left much to be desired so I decided to work with ComiXpress. They did a great job; sharp clean print on bright white paper with little bleed through. I'd defiantly use them again.

Now I'm taking a break from this series to work on something a little more loose and portable to fit into my current situation (3 1/2 month old twin girls), but finding the time is a real challenge! Lots of coffee in my world.

6 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, major props, dog!

I'm planning on starting a graphic novel some time in the next 1-2 years; any advice?

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. I remember this now. I bought the comics of this way back when. I really like this and wondered what had happened to the book. So, good to know you´re still around. Is there anyway to get hold of this, or do we have to wait till there´s a publisher found? (I´d also love to review it for my website... ahh, am better gonna quit the sucking up now I guess)

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh. Just found the ordering info. Everything´s good now.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Troy Little said...

Hey Myk, your book is in the mail! (4-6 weeks they said at the post office to get to Germany).

The Masked Retriever: That's a pretty open ended question.... Um, "Just Do It" sounds pretty lame... and probably trademarked. If you have anything specific I'd do my best to give you my two cents!

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, that's a fair cop! I can't exactly expect you to post The Making of a Graphic Novel in here!

I've been doing a joke-per-update strip twice a week for several years now, (with very few missed updates! Go me!) but I've yet to step up to the challenge of a big honkin' ~book~ of a comic.

So the question I guess is along the theme of this community: how do you keep it flying straight and level?

How do you keep the story from drying out? Can you offer any insight to the knack of "holding the ship steady" in terms of art, writing, and theme? Is it just a matter of a solid pre-production or are there good exercises along the way which can keep the book from amaturishly drifting from one "artist's mood" to the next?

In short: I can keep at it, but are there hints you can offer for holding it all together?

 
At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i am interested in the graphic novel area but i'm not sure really how you ink and get in black in white.....heh amateur comic person here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home